As the business owner/manager/advisor to your clients and staff, there’s a lot of risks that fall on our shoulders. But as the leader, all eyes are on us to step up in these situations. What message are you giving to your staff and clients by your demeanor and body language?
They are looking for confidence, strength, and encouragement just as their own confidence may be down with everything going on around them. They need you to lift their spirits.
Do not panic – you need to be positive and proactive even if you aren’t particularly feeling so.
Energy, both good and bad, is contagious and spreads throughout your office / virtual office and can be felt over the phone in conversations with clients.
In 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Dr. Stephen Covey highlights in Habit 1 – Being Proactive a concept called the Circle of Concern vs Circle of Influence.
Our Circle of Concern is filled with all the things in the world that affect us – coronavirus, governments, share markets, travel bans, etc – that we may care about and things that can cause concern, however, they are all the things we have no control over.
Our Circle of Influence, on the other hand, is filled with all the things that we can control – emotions, attitude, health, relationships, decisions and actions – and the things we should ultimately be focussed on as much as possible.
Right now, we must focus on the things in our circle of influence, the things in our control. If we don’t, it will just cause stress, will be counterproductive and it’s a waste of energy.
Here are some actions that you can take:
- Take care of your health. Sleep well, exercise even if walking around the block, and eat well
- When you put the key in the door of your office, pick up the phone or turn on the zoom video call, turn on the right attitude and positive energy
- Consult with your staff often, consult with clients often, consult with family members often
- Be decisive, don’t dilly-dally, make decisions quickly and act.
- Choose your sources of news and information wisely. Media outlets survive on invoking fear. Seek clear, transparent information from non-bias sources.
P.S. Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you grow your Accounting or Bookkeeping business:
1. Grab a free copy of our book – Accountants 20-Hour Workweek
It’s the blueprint to structure, staff and scale your firm whilst dramatically reducing your work hours. — Click Here
2. Join the Wize WaterCooler and connect with other Accountants who are scaling too
It’s our new Facebook community where business-minded Accountants and Bookkeepers learn to build a firm that runs without them. — Click Here
3. Join our new WizePulse Implementation Program
We’re putting together a new mentoring case study group this month. If you’d like to get the plan, tools and advice from the Wize Mentors to scale your firm… just send us a message with the word “Pulse” – Click Here
4. Work with the Wize Guys privately
If you’d like to work directly with the Wize Mentor team to take you from stuck to scale…just send us a message with the word “Growth”… tell us a little about your firm and what you’d like help with, and we’ll get you all the details! – Click Here