Accounting practices are adopting new tools to help them run their business more efficiently, but what about the staff? They have a lot of input on how to do things day-to-day and this can sometimes clash with your vision for the practice.
Whichever tool you go with it all comes down to getting the staff to buy in and wanting to use it. When they buy-in, they will perceive those tools as solutions and find ways to implement them in your system.
When the staff doesn’t buy in, you get pushback and they see the tool as more of an inconvenience instead of using them to streamline their work.
When you implement new tools, remember that your team will most likely have:
1) Early Adopters: They are willing to give new things a go immediately, but they also chase the next shiny things.
2) Middle Adopters: They take a couple of tries before giving things a go, but they need lots of ongoing maintenance to keep them on track
3) Late Adopters: They take ages to come around to it and appear skeptical of new things. But, when they do come around and start using it you won’t be able to get them to change again easily.
Think about which categories apply to your staff and then apply the right approach.
Whatever tool you plan to use, focus on managing the changes, getting people to buy-in, and take into account your staff’s adoption behavior when implementing.
When you have enough staff buy-in and are using the tool enough in your own firm, you will be surprised at how they are able to not only just use the tool but also find ways to continuously improve it too.
Strategically, processes are more important than your goals if you want your firm to run without you. Build a business with extraordinary processes and get your team to follow your processes.
P.S. Whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you grow your Accounting or Bookkeeping business:
1. Download a free copy of our book – The Accountants 20 Hour Workweek
In this free book, we highlight the No.1 strategy that’s had the biggest impact on building our own practice to run without the owners – Click here for more
2. Join our free Wize Accountants Mastermind group
It’s our new free online community to share daily insights, tips and free tools to grow your practice — Click here for more
3. Save $’000s in your practice every month with this new program
We’ve just released a new practice acceleration program which will help you save money and time every month whilst taking your practice to a new level of growth. See if you qualify – Click here for more
4. Build your firm to run without you
We have the step-by-step plan to grow a seven figure profit practice that can run without the owner. Would you like it? – Click here for more