In the ever-evolving world of business, growth is a constant goal. However, achieving sustainable growth is more than just adding more hands to the team. It’s about strategically building the right foundation to support that growth. Recently, a Wize member reached out with a crucial question about implementing a Practice Manager role to enhance their firm’s processes and drive success. In this article, we’ll explore the importance of structuring your team effectively before bringing in a Practice Manager.
The Question: What Should the Practice Manager’s Role Include?
Ed, a member of the Wize community, shared his dilemma. His business was undergoing significant changes due to growth, and he recognized the need for a Practice Manager. This individual would be responsible for refining processes and enhancing overall efficiency. Ed had been grooming an employee for this role but needed guidance on the specifics of the job description.
The Response: It’s More Than Just Hiring Someone
Ed’s query highlights a common misconception in many growing businesses: the belief that hiring a Practice Manager is a straightforward solution. However, the reality is more complex.
If your goal is to build a solid structure for your business, you need a rare individual with the skills to construct it from the ground up. Constructing the framework is distinct from managing and maintaining it. There are more managers capable of sustaining an existing system than there are builders who can create the structure.
The first step is to create a blueprint for the “right team structure.” Once you have this blueprint in place, you can more effectively recruit a Practice Manager to help you fill the various roles within the team structure. Unfortunately, many firms get this process backward. They hire staff before defining the necessary structure, akin to coaching a soccer team without set positions or constructing a house without an architect’s plan.
The consequence of this approach is that they end up hiring staff “out of position” rather than “in position.” This forces the business owner to try to hold everything together through sheer force, resulting in long hours and inefficient operations due to an unstable foundation.
The Benefits of a Well-Structured Team
Creating the right team structure is about bringing together complementary skills. When everyone plays in their designated role, the benefits are substantial:
- Staff Retention and Job Satisfaction: Employees are more likely to stay and be satisfied with their roles when they are in positions that suit their skills and interests.
- Scalability with Less Effort: A well-structured team can handle growth more effectively, reducing the strain on the business owner.
- Increased Efficiency, Productivity, and Profits: Clearly defined roles and responsibilities lead to a more streamlined and productive workflow.
- Client Retention and Capacity for Growth: A smoothly operating team can handle increased client demand without sacrificing quality.
- Freedom for Owners: When the business is running efficiently, owners can enjoy more freedom, make choices that benefit the company, and escape the grind of being a prisoner to their own business.
Start with the Ideal Team Structure
Before you hire a Practice Manager to maintain your business structure, take the time to determine your ideal team structure. Consider a blend of communication and production skills that will ensure your team operates smoothly and efficiently. By doing this, you avoid setting your Practice Manager up for failure because most are better at maintaining existing structures than building them from scratch.
In conclusion, implementing a Practice Manager can be a game-changer for your growing business. However, it’s essential to remember that their success depends on the foundation you’ve laid. Start by defining your ideal team structure, and only then bring in a Practice Manager to help you maintain and optimize it. This strategic approach will set your firm on the path to sustainable growth and long-term success.
PS: Whenever you’re ready… here are the fastest 3 ways we can help you transform your accounting/bookkeeping practice:
1. Join 40,000+ subscribers to our transformation Friday tips – Every Friday, our Wize Mentor and Thought Leader of the Year, Ed Chan will send one actionable insight from his experience of building a $20 million accounting firm that still runs without him – Subscribe here
2. Download one of our famous Wize Accountants Growth Playbooks – Our FREE Playbooks on how to build and scale your firm are more valuable than most PAID business coaching programs! See for yourself – Download here
3. Join the waiting list for a free login to the world’s best accounting business intelligence software for scaling your firm. Take a look at the app we use to build our own $10million firm in just 7-hours a week – Get a FREE login here